Curb Appeal Ideas
By: Sheetal WernekeCreating curb appeal is a good idea for homeowners selling their houses in today's challenging real estate market. Homes need an extra edge to stand out and get a buyer's attention, and improving your home's curb appeal is one of the most cost-effective improvements a homeowner can make.
Real estate agents confirm that there is no bigger sales edge than a home with top-notch curb appeal. It's the first impression a home makes, so the exterior and landscaping needs to attract attention and interest. Considering that some 74 percent of buyers today preview homes on the Internet (according to the National Association of Realtors), curb appeal is even more important than ever before.
Landscaping is one of the easiest ways for homeowners to quickly increase a home's value with little cost. Even just planting colorful flowers in landscaping beds, grooming a lush lawn and adding greenery and potted plants creates a drastic transformation and higher perceived value. In one weekend, you can tackle the weeds and fertilize your lawn and flowerbeds to make beautiful enhancements that will last for months. Spectracide® and Schultz®, available at major retailers, offer trusted, high-quality products for every lawn care challenge with reliable results.
A recent RealEstate.com survey of 500 sellers and 100 real estate agents across the country found both groups agreed that creating curb appeal by enhancing a lawn or landscape was the top priority for getting a house ready to sell. Half of buying decisions are based on curb appeal, according to the National Association of Realtors, and it is at curbside where homeowners' efforts need to start. To get the lawn and landscape flourishing, it's important to use the appropriate products to control insects and disease, and keep the soil moist and the grass thick, dense and green. Here are a few curb appeal ideas to green up your home:
- In the summer, use a lawn fertilizer to maintain turf's healthy green color. In the late fall, use winterizer to encourage root growth, create earlier spring greening and improve the lawn's resistance to disease, weeds and pests the following year.
- Use a weed killer such as Spectracide® Weed Stop® plus Crabgrass Killer to remove unsightly weeds from driveways, sidewalks and flowerbeds.
- Use Spectracide® Triazicide® Once and Done! Insect Killer to control insects that damage summer lawns.
- Create container gardens using Schultz® MoisturePlus® Potting Mix and bright flowers to add color and style to the front porch. This will help the house stand out in the crowd.
- Use Schultz® Mulch with Weed Stop® to provide a finished look to all of your landscape beds.
- Give your home's exterior a good scrub with a power washer to remove cobwebs and dirt. Clean the windows inside and out, and remove screens to show off the windows and let light flow into the home.
- Trim trees and shrubs that overhang the house and hide it from view.
- Store items such as hoses, garden tools, children's toys and sports equipment in the garage to give the home a polished look.